Why does the need to save water arise?
A report by UNICEF states that forty-five percent of India's children are stunted and 600,000 children under five die each year largely due to the inadequate water supply. New Delhi, the capital of India, is dependent on neighboring states for its water supply as only seven percent of the waste water from the city is being recycled.
These statistics highlight the need for having a serious attitude towards water conservation in India.
This situation has sparked the attempts by the government and other organizations. Union Cabinet of India declared year 2013 as Water Conservation Year. Under this theme, the government has proposed to come up with several mass awareness activities with an emphasis on sensitizing the masses on water issues and to encourage them to use water judiciously and conserve it.
Charitable organizations are taking initiative for water conservation. For example, Arghyam works on facilitating the transformation of a neglected temple tank that could potentially hold approximately 75 lac liters of water. It's not only government and charitable organizations which have come up to contribute to this cause.Speaking of profit-motive organizations, PepsiCo India too didn't stay behind and chipped in its own effort named Positive Water Balance. Through rainwater harvesting,community watersheds and water conservation in agriculture, PepsiCo India saved 13.5 billion liters more water than they consumed since 2009.
Taking a cue from these efforts, at an individual level we can contribute towards water conservation by following methods :
1. Verify your home is leak free.Repair dripping taps by replacing washers.
2. Avoid flushing the toilet unnecessarily. Use water efficient flushes, plumbing fixtures having sensors, low flow faucet aerators which require minimum water.
3. Turn off water while brushing teeth.
4. For shaving, use mug rather than using running water.
5. Close faucets while soaping and rinsing clothes.
6. Keep overflow valve in the over head tanks so as not to waste water.
7. Use waste water of cloth cleaning to clean the floor.
8. Use waste water in flush.
9. Don’t use running water for releasing ice from tray.
10. Don’t use running water while hand-washing clothes.
11. Operate automatic washing machine when it is fully loaded.
12. Don’t use shower/big bath tubs in bathrooms.
13. While going outdoor, turn off the main valve for water.
14. Develop habit of monitoring water meters.
Start contributing today your bit to the cause.
CONSERVE WATER, CONSERVE LIFE!